Monday, December 20, 2010

ADVENT CALENDAR: DAY 21


Can you believe quite how close Christmas is now?! Behind the 21st door of my virtual advent calendar is:



Shannon of The Simply Luxurious Life. Shannon is not a stranger to this blog, she wrote about her Style Icon for me a couple of month's ago and very kindly featured me in her weekly newsletter last month. If you haven't already been over to Shannon's blog, you are missing out; from weekend inspiration posts filled with stylish photos to interior design spreads, to recipes and a fantastic Why Not...? series. It is not only the inspiring photographs that make Shannon's blog so special but her thoughtful and well chosen words and quotes too.

Here, Shannon answers my questions about her Simply Luxurious Christmas:


How long have you been blogging and why did you first start?

I must confess, upon watching Julie & Julia in theaters in August of 2009, I was inspired, but I didn't begin The Simply Luxurious Life blog until December of that year. As far as I why I began - it all started as a need to express myself and my passions, as I found that when I did, people enjoyed the ideas because they too could bring the same beauty and luxury into their own lives. In creating the blog, it was very freeing and a sense of exhilaration was immediately felt because I found so many other people who had similar passions, and in its own way, it was very validating.

What inspires you?

I am inspired by words and ideas of others I discover in books, newspaper and magazine articles, well-written movies, plays and beautifully honest music. Beauty in general whether it be found in fashion, interior design, architectural design or in nature is so soothing and invigorating. I find that when I am able to carve out time to be by myself - sometimes when I take my walks or when I'm enjoying a peaceful night at home - that my mind is able to relax and be open to welcoming in all sorts of ideas that I wouldn't have been able to realize had I been busy scurrying about.

What do you get up to when you’re not blogging?

When I'm not blogging, I can be found trying new recipes, enjoying old ones, traveling, reading, practicing yoga, walking my dogs, spending time with good friends and family, savoring wines from our local vintners, shopping, dreaming, laughing, journaling, working out in the yard or enjoying a relaxing bubble bath in my refurbished clawfoot tub (with a glass of wine of course).

What three things are top of your Christmas list this year?

Peace of mind, books, books and more books and a fabulous dress or two.

Christmas is all about family and traditions, what traditions do you have for Christmas?

On the evening of the 24th, our family always has our annual Christmas Eve dinner which is a Surf n Turf affair with prime rib, shrimp and everything in between. My mother is an amazing cook and a few years ago, I began providing the dessert to help out a bit. It is a gathering of friends and immediate family that everyone dresses up for, and I must say I enjoy and appreciate it more every year because I realize how special such holiday traditions are with people who are loving and supportive and have seen you grow to who you are now. Truly an event to be treasured.


Thank you so much Shannon for answering my questions. Remember to check out Shannon's blog and to come back to tomorrow for another blogger's profile. If you've missed the previous bloggers in this series, you can catch up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment