Thursday, February 17, 2011

Friend Friday #28: Body Image

Mirror, mirror, on the wall...

I'm off to London this morning (as you might already know!) - to attend my very first London Fashion Week and to visit friends. As models - with their perfect proportions - begin to strutt their stuff down the catwalks in the UK capital today, it seems fitting perhaps that we're discussing body image. Right now I'm feeling pretty good about my body (apart from the lack of cleavage, obvious love handles and four-month-pregnant-looking-stomach!), but I realise that later today - after seeing many a model - I might not feel so great!


1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?

I’m not sure my image of myself has changed but I have become less concerned about what others think of my image and my outfits. Most of the time.

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?

My stomach is my “self-conscious” zone. I only ever post photos that don’t show a “bump”!! Otherwise, I’m not too bothered. That’s not to say I am mega self-assured but that I realised a long time ago that as long as you believe you are confident, so will everyone else!

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body image?

I'm not really sure. Maybe a few sit-ups would cure me of the four-month-pregnancy-look!
4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision?

I do photograph myself and, to be honest, I’m ok about it. Recently I’ve become pretty blasé about posting pretty standard photos -- where I still look half alseep at 9am!

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart?

Just over a year ago, British Style Bloggers ran a Body Image month. I wrote a piece about how I got over my body hang-ups. I guess I'm a pretty "glass half full" kinda girl and therefore always try to look on the bright side of anything that gets me down.


How do you feel about your body image? Do you jump straight in front of the lens and start posing the minute someone gets a camera out? Or do you hide behind the sofa?

Remember to check out the other contributions to this week's discussion over at ModlyChic. And if you would like to be a part of the Friend Friday Group, you can find all of the details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment