Thursday, February 8, 2007

Suzy Peaches' Fruit Basket

Hello my lovely readers I am Suzy Peaches and I’ll be with you today and every Thursday with fruity treats to usher in the weekend. I would like to use this opportunity to thank Mona for allowing me run riot on her blog for the day. Seeing as Valentines Day is round the corner I thought it would be nice to explore our avenues of love.



Here it goes ……………

Unrequited Love




Do you remember the agonies of Unrequited Love? Do you remember the love that dare not speak its name because you couldn’t bear to declare your passion to the object of your affection? I ask again do you remember the pining, yearning, burning and aching desires you had for someone who never thought of you in that light or worse still knew that you existed?

Today let's talk about the torches that we’ve carried for years and years.
For the love that would have been but never was;
For the One that got away;
For the One that still when you hear their name everything prickles, the hairs on the back of your neck, your heart pounds and your palms get sweaty;
For the One whose name can set you all aflame, all aglow and all aglimmer. Let's talk about Unrequited Love!

Oh No! I’m not talking about the one you cupped off with at the back of staff quarters on Inter-house sports day. I am not talking about the one that you dated for many years and maybe ended up marrying (or soon to marry). I am talking of Unrequited Love – the one you never kissed – the love that after all these years you still wished had flamed into something more enduring – the love you never ever tasted. Years ago we used to call the crushes.

I hear you asking why is this nutter banging on about CRUSHES? Well according to Libby Pervis a renowned Writer and Journalist and I quote “We have lost the facility these days for something as romantic as Unrequited Love”. Does this story dredge up and feelings?

He was 24, I was 17 he was the wisest handsome man that ever earned a girl’s worship. He simply could do no wrong, he was the only star in my sky – one smile from him could keep going for months. And there is no need to worry about embarrassing him now because He was never even aware of my silent spooky devotion. This silent infatuation was not unusual neither did it come without innumerable precedence. Hopes Undiluted – Unrequited Love was once a staple of literature and song and it is only recently that it has gone out of fashion. Somehow it drifted of the radar of popular western culture and imagination and has been driven into the wilderness by the brisk forces of modernity. What was once considered a sacred human feeling has become a weird and contemptible weakness.

The troubadour, the courtly lover begging for single rose becomes the stalker of today’s time. These days we are told that if the person does not reciprocated your feelings then immediately “move on”, “get over it”, “get some closure”, “get rid of the baggage and find someone who will love you back”. Which is all well and good, as nobody in his or her right mind should keep pinning for the love of another who did not share their passion.



But for just a day let's forget about what ought to be the case, or what should be the case and concentrate on what sometimes is the case. Lets free our romantic inclinations and indulge our fantasies. It could be anything from your Idol to A friend or even a Friend of a Friend.
Here is an extract from John Donne’s Poem The Damp for inspiration:


WHEN I am dead, and doctors know not why,
And my friends' curiosity
Will have me cut up to survey each part,
When they shall find your picture in my heart,
You think a sudden damp of love





I’ve told you mine it’s your turn now!

No comments:

Post a Comment